Control Panels & Components
Prepare your industrial control panels for fast market access
Did You Know?
- In North America, approval to begin operating equipment that utilizes ICPs depends on the approval of the Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) in addition to ICP safety compliance. To keep your productivity on track, it is smart to ensure that your ICP meets safety requirements before your AHJ inspection.
- Today is commonly called the fourth industrial revolution, or Industry 4.0, with an increasing abundance of smart manufacturing processes. In this new and evolving world, cybersecurity testing is a necessary extension of functional safety for industrial control systems.
Industrial Control Panels (ICPs) are vital components used to operate equipment and systems in a wide range of industrial environments and enable the safe functioning of equipment. Industrial machinery, control panels, factory automation equipment, compressors, industrial heating systems, oil and gas burning equipment, and traffic light systems are all examples of critical equipment that utilize ICPs.
As with any electrical equipment – particularly in light of the increasing functionality of ICPs to include possible remote control capabilities via the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) – ICP compliance with specific safety requirements and standards is critical to the success of your products and your business.
CSA Group performs the testing and certification services you need to meet local market compliance requirements before bringing your products to target markets. We can also guide you through ICP evaluation options to ideally match your industry and application.
CSA Group’s ICP specialists can help you confirm compliance with U.S., Canadian, and European safety standards and code requirements including:
- UL 508
- UL 508A
- CSA C22.2 No. 14
- CSA C22.2 No. 286
- SPE-1000 Model Code
- National Electrical Code (NEC)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 60947
Why choose CSA Group as your partner in testing and certification of your control panels?
- Component acceptance: CSA Group often accepts components evaluated and certified by other NRTLs when we evaluate your ICP, expanding your selection of qualified components and helping to increase design and supply chain flexibility
- Unmatched expertise: Our global team of recognized experts have been testing and certifying industrial products for decades, making CSA Group the leader in industrial and hazardous locations equipment testing
- Commitment to service: We are committed to your success and work harder to stay available to you, understand your needs, and ensure you’re satisfied
- Efficiency and speed: Time to market is a critical input to any product’s success – that’s why we approach your project and relationship dedicated streamlining and simplifying the process
- Geographic reach: No matter where you manufacture, sell, or distribute your products, we have a facility run by experts in the field to meet your needs
- Extensive testing: CSA Group is known for delivering high-quality results that ensure your product meets all the applicable standards including UL, CSA, ASME, and more
Testing & Evaluation Programs
Explore the Testing Protocols CSA Group Offers for Industrial Control Panels and Components
CSA Group offers a variety of evaluation programs to verify that control panel and component products comply with applicable standards. Understanding your options is the first step in choosing the solution that best meets your business needs.
For mass-producers of fixed-design ICPs, our model certification is your best option for confirming product compliance. This common path starts with either submission of samples for safety and performance testing to one of our state-of-the-art laboratories or testing of your sample at your location. If your samples comply with the requirements of the applicable standards and codes, a Certificate of Compliance (CoC) is issued and all products you produce of the same design may display the CSA mark.
Special Industrial Control Panel (SICP) Shop Program
Are flexibility and control over how and when your products enter the market important to your business? Do you produce moderate quantities of individual or custom design ICPs for ordinary locations? Then our panel shop program is an ideal solution for you. We will assess and certify your general panel design principles, production facilities, and quality systems, as well as train and assess your personnel as part of the evaluation process. Upon successful completion, your production facility is designated a “certified panel shop” and you are authorized to apply the CSA mark to all panels produced within the negotiated scope of the program. In contrast to some other testing organizations, CSA Group accepts components evaluated and certified by other Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs) when we evaluate your ICP. This can expand your selection of qualified components, increasing design and supply chain flexibility.
Special Industrial Control Panel Program for Hazardous Locations (SICPHL)
CSA Group’s Special Industrial Control Panel Program for Hazardous Locations (SICPHL) is available to manufacturers who already qualify under the SICP ordinary locations program. The SICPHL program provides additional safety evaluations to confirm your compliance with requirements for specified hazardous locations. The program also enables you to access global markets, giving you the flexibility needed to compete internationally. It does so by using the flameproof concept for custom build panels that need to meet IECEx/ATEX requirements for Zones 1 and 2. Any panel utilizing a suitably certified flameproof enclosure can be customized within certain parameters, while still being certified for IECEx or ATEX.
Do you produce ICPs in very limited quantities, or even produce single specialized panels for an individual installation? Field evaluation is your most practical option. Known as “special inspections” in Canada, this evaluation can be performed at the point of manufacture, an interim point of distribution, the final installation site, in a CSA Group facility, or in a combination of locations.
If you produce a set quantity of ICPs intended for use in hazardous locations, field certification – a certification for a specific number of units per onsite inspection – is your best option. This option is applicable when ongoing production surveillance is not required because only the product available at the time of the evaluation may be labeled with the serialized field certification label.
Explore standards for a wide range of industries
Get your industrial control panels tested, inspected, and certified for safety, compliance, and global market access
Transform your innovations into quality products that meet critical safety requirements with our expert control panel testing services.
Launch new products and boost customer confidence in North America and beyond with our global certification services.
The Latest from CSA Group
Exploring Your Options for Industrial Control Panel Safety Evaluation in North AmericaRead the White Paper
Webinar: Getting AHJs to Accept Your Industrial Control PanelRegister Now!
Reaping the Benefits of the Industrial Internet of ThingsRead the White Paper
Protecting Connected Devices Against Cyber AttackRead the White Paper
Top 7 Reasons to Seek Field Evaluations for Your ProductsRead the Article
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.