CE Marking for Europe
Meet the requirements of the applicable European directives and sell your products in the European Economic Area (EEA)Start your CE marking project
What is CE marking?
DID YOU KNOW?
- The letters "CE" stand for the French phrase "Conformité Européene," which means "European Conformity." The term first used was "EC Mark." It was replaced by "CE Marking" in 1993.
- It is forbidden to affix CE marking to products that do not fall under the scope of one of the directives providing for its affixing.
If you are a manufacturer seeking access to markets in Europe, CE marking is generally required. The CE marking is the product’s “passport” to the European Economic Area (EEA) and shows that the product has been assessed and complies with the applicable European directives. With that, manufacturers and importers can trade their products in 31 participating countries of the EEA.
CSA Group helps you to assess your products in accordance with the EU directives.
It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to carry out the conformity assessment, set up the technical file, issue the EU declaration of conformity (DoC), and affix the CE marking to the product. Once all these steps are completed you can sell your product in the EEA.
For certain product groupsmanufacturers can perform the conformity assessment on their own, while for some products a European Notified Body needs to be contacted to perform a conformity check.
An EU Notified Body
CSA Group is an EU approved Notified Body under:
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMCD 2014/30/EU)
- Radio Equipment Directive (RED 2014/53/EU)
- Measurement Instruments Directive (MID 2014/32/EU)
- ATEX Directive (2014/34/EC)
With these designations, we can issue conformity assessment reports to confirm that your product meets specific health, safety, radio, and EMC protection requirements of European standards.
If there is no harmonized standard for your product in place, CSA Group can help you identify an alternative route to show compliance with the essential requirements of the applicable directive.
CSA Group in North America, Europe, and Asia has deep knowledge in CE marking and can help you with:
- Identifying the applicable EU directives
- Product assessment
- Accredited test reports
- Type Examination Certificate (CE Type Examination)
- Support on how to issue the Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
Top reasons to put your confidence in CSA Group for CE marking projects
- Deep expertise in EU regulations: We have more than 30 years of experience in helping manufacturers assess their product against changing European legislation.
- Wide range of services: At CSA Group, we make it a priority to evolve with the market. Today, we offer a wide range of services to test and certify electrical, electronic, gas-fired devices, components, and batteries.
- A single solution: CSA Group can serve as a single point of contact for several testing and certification needs, helping you launch your products not only in the European Economic Area but also in North America, Asia, and other global markets.
- Close proximity: With more than 30 branches and laboratories around the world, we offer smooth project handling and fast turnaround times close to your manufacturing plant.
- State-of-the-art labs: Our labs are equipped with the latest technology and customized solutions, allowing us to test to a wide range of specifications and standards.
Get your products tested, inspected, and certified for safety, compliance, and global market access
Transform your innovations into quality products that meet critical safety requirements with our expert testing services.
Launch new products and boost customer confidence in North America and beyond with our global certification services.
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.