MOTORS AND GENERATORS - Motors and Generators
Electric-motors (with or without inherent overheating protection) and generators for
installation and use in accordance with the requirements of the Canadian Electrical Code
This category does not include sealed (hermetic) type motors such as in refrigerator
compressors or motors for use in hazardous locations. See equipment list.
|CSA-C22.2 No 0||General Requirements – Canadian Electrical Code, Part II|
|CSA-C22.2 No 0.4||Bonding of Electrical Equipment|
|CSA C22.2 No 77||Motors with Inherent Overheating Protection|
|CSA C22.2 No 100||Motors and Generators|
- Motors marked "Thermally Protected" are provided with thermal protection in
accordance with Standard C22.2 No 77 "Motors with Inherent Overheating
Protection". The thermal protectors may open the motor winding circuits inside the
motor enclosure, or may be connected in the control circuits of the equipment which opens
the motor circuit externally.
- Motors listed with statement "Component Certification Only" (or equivalent
wording) are for use only as component parts of Certified equipment which provides for
their proper use (e.g. such motor may have exposed live or moving parts which are required
to be enclosed by the
equipment in which they are intended to be used).
All marking required by CSA must be permanent, legible, and located where readily
accessible for review after assembly of the device, except as permitted otherwise. The
contents consist of:
- submittor's identification;
- model designation or equivalent;
- complete electrical rating;
- date code or equivalent;
- "THERMALLY PROTECTED" or "TP" and "PROTECTION THERMIQUE
INHERENTE" or "PT" (where applicable);
- "IMPEDANCE PROTECTED" or "ZP" and "PROTECTION D'IMPEDANCE"
or "PZ" (where applicable);
- "CAUTION: USE SUPPLY WIRES SUITABLE FOR ….C/ATTENTION: EMPLOYER DES FILS
D'ALIMENTATION POUR ….C" (where applicable);
- "USE A 15 AMPERE TIME-DELAY FUSE/EMPLOYER UN FUSIBLE A ACTION DIFFEREE DE 15
AMPERES" (where applicable);
- "HOBBY MOTOR/MOTEUR DE BRICOLEUR" (where applicable);
- "FOR USE ONLY WITH HOUSEHOLD TOOLS INDOORS/EMPLOYER UNIQUEMENT A L'INTERIEUR AVEC
DES OUTILS DOMESTIQUES" (where applicable);
- when thermal protectors are to be connected in control circuits of equipment which opens
the motor circuit externally, additional marking to indicate the specific external
- additional markings as may be required by the applicable Standard(s) for specific models
- CSA Mark.
The marking method consists of a data plate or plates or equally permanent marking
applied at the factory.
Note: The CSA Certification mark on a motor applies to the motor only, not to the
driven equipment. Both the motor and the generator of a set, provided with a common base,
bear the CSA Mark if the set is Certified.
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.