Sri Lanka (TRCSL) - New Type Approval Regulation (Updated 190221)
The Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka(TRCSL) has made Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE) Type Approval Rules 2020 under Section 68 read with Sections 5(o), 5(q), 5 (v)& 5 (w) of the Sri Lanka Telecommunications Act No: 25 of 1991 as amended.
RTTE Type Approval Rules was published in the Extra Ordinary Gazette No. 2196/51 of 09/10/2020 and will come into effect on 16/12/2020.
Summary of the type approval changes:
- Type Approval charges
- One sample required to support type approval applications, with TRC reserving the right to request up to 2 samples for all TA (previously only Telecom product need sample). TRCSL has the right to keep the samples for 2 years
- More specific documents request
- Mandatory labelling requirements for all equipment approved by TRC. Labels must be purchased from TRCSL. The label requirement will be implemented from June 16th, 2021
- Fee to import devices
- Processing time 30 days working mentioned by TRC , actual time line will be varies upon received sample and all document
- Fast track scheme with additional payment
- Type Approval exception list
- Test report submission within 3 months validity (or declaration of the validity of the report from the manufacture)
- Existing certificate will be valid for 6 months and after that all needs to apply for a new certificate (only the standard type approval process is available for this type of certification)
- Validity of the certificate changes from 3 years into 4 years. So does the exempt letter, the validation will be 4 years
- The certificate holder must be a local company that holds also the telecommunication license. Previous certificate under manufacturer will not valid after 6 months and it requires to apply Normal New Application under a local company
- The Simplified Application is only available for those that are already done NEW Application after December 16th. The simplified application is used for an alternative importer or 2nd importer
- Exemption letter definition is still not so clear.