ISO/IEC 16317:2011 specifies maintenance of network connectivity and presence by proxies to extend the sleep duration of hosts.
ISO/IEC 16317:2011 specifies:
- capabilities that a proxy may expose to a host;
- information that must be exchanged between a host and a proxy;
- proxy behaviour for 802.3 (Ethernet) and 802.11 (WiFi);
- required and optional behaviour of a proxy while it is operating, including responding to packets, generating packets, ignoring packets, and waking the host.
ISO/IEC 16317:2011 does not:
- specify communication mechanisms between hosts and proxies;
- extend or modify the referenced specifications (and for any discrepancies those specifications are authoritative);
- support security and communication protocols such as IPsec, MACSec, SSL, TLS, Mobile IP, etc.