IEC 60840:2020 RLV contains both the official IEC International Standard and its Redline version. The Redline version is available in English only and provides you with a quick and easy way to compare all the changes between the official IEC Standard and its previous edition.
IEC 60840:2020 specifies test methods and requirements for power cable systems, cables alone and accessories alone, for fixed installations and for rated voltages above 30 kV (Um = 36 kV) up to and including 150 kV (Um = 170 kV). The requirements apply to single-core cables and to individually screened three-core cables and to their accessories for usual conditions of installation and operation, but not to special cables, such as submarine cables and their accessories, for which modifications to the standard tests or the setup of special test conditions can be necessary. This document does not cover transition joints between cables with extruded insulation and paper insulated cables. This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition, published in 2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Gas immersed cable terminations for use at rated voltages above 52 kV are required to be designed, type and routine tested in accordance with IEC 62271-209 in addition to the routine and type tests specified in this document.
- Requirements are introduced for composite outdoor termination insulators.
- The test cylinder diameters specified for the bending test (type and prequalification tests) have been modified in line with IEC TR 61901:2016.
- A low smoke halogen free oversheath material, designated ST12 is introduced.
- Additional tests under fire conditions are introduced: vertical flame spread, smoke density, acidity and conductivity, which shall be applied according to the fire performance declared for the cable.
- A test for water penetration in the conductor is added.
- In addition to tests on the outer protection of joints, type tests on the screen sectionalizing insulation of all accessories have been introduced.
The contents of the corrigendum of February 2021 have been included in this copy.