This is the third edition of CSA Standard C83, Communication and Power Line Hardware. It supersedes CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C83-M87.
This Standard includes the following:
(a) general requirements for hardware used in the construction of communication and power lines;
(b) over 115 Item Standards written using metric units;
Six existing item Standards have been revised to include applications for both distribution and transmission lines, and one new item Standard for distribution and six new Item Standards for transmission have been added.
(c) three Appendices (A, B, and C) giving information on sampling and inspection of line hardware;
(d) an Appendix (D) providing a cross reference of Standards and property classes for metric and imperial Standards.
Both manufacturers and users are to be cautioned that interchangeability of imperial and metric components may not be possible.
(e) two Appendices (E and F) giving information on the corona testing of fittings;
(f) an Appendix (G) giving design rationale of transmission line fittings;
(g) an Appendix (H) giving recommendations for the everyday load limits for threaded items in tension;
(h) an Appendix (I) giving information on hardness measurements for process control; and
(i) two Appendices (J and K) providing, respectively, numerical and alphabetical lists of Item Standards.
Appendices A and B are included to assist those unfamiliar with statistical sampling or in need of ready reference for sampling plans acceptable to industry in general. Some of these were extracted from MIL-STD-1 05B, which, although superseded, is nonetheless usable. The presence of the sampling tables in the appendices should not be thought to preclude the use of any other sampling plans that will satisfy the AQL requirements specified in the Standard for inspection purposes.
CSA Standards are developed through the dedication of time by committee members and by financial support through sales of Standards and through voluntary contributions. Major funding in support of the consensus process for this Standard was provided by the Canadian Electrical Association (CEA), whose assistance is acknowledged with thanks.
This Standard covers the general requirements for hardware used in the construction of communication lines and power lines including distribution and transmission lines.
Detailed requirements for individual items of hardware as numerically listed in Appendix J are covered in separate Item Standards, eg, C83.46, Cable Rack; C83.49, Strain Link; C83.75, Thimble Guy Rod.
(1) Appendices A, B, and C provide information on sampling and inspection of line hardware.
(2) Appendix D provides a cross reference of comparable Standards and property classes for metric and imperial fasteners. It is intended to be referred to and accepted by the manufacturer and purchaser until such time as metric fasteners become readily available.
(3) Appendices E and F provide information for the corona testing of transmission line hardware fittings.
(4) Appendix G provides design rationale for the transmission line fittings.
(5) Appendix H provides information on threaded items in tension.
(6) Appendix I provides information on hardness measurements for process control of steel items.
(7) For information on grades of construction and strength requirements for overhead lines, see CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C22.3 No. 1.