IEC 60335-2-16:2022 CMV
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-16: Particular requirements for food waste disposers
IEC 60335-2-16:2022 deals with the safety of electric food waste disposers for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless possibly pose a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities, leading to restriction of or prohibition of the installation of food waste disposers.
This standard does not apply to
– portable food waste disposers;
– food waste disposers of the incinerator type;
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial or commercial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2002, Amendment 1:2008 and Amendment 2:2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text (Clause 1, 22.104);
c) addition of temperature rise limits for accessible surface (Clause 11).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.