IEC 60754-2:2011+A1:2019 specifies the apparatus and procedure for the determination of the potential corrosivity of gases evolved during the combustion of materials taken from electric or optical fibre cable constructions by measuring the acidity (pH) and conductivity of an aqueous solution resulting from the gases evolved during the combustion. The general method specified in this standard is intended for the testing of individual components used in a cable construction. Formulae are given for the calculation of a weighted value for a combination of materials found in a specified cable. The use of this method will enable the verification of relevant requirements for either individual components or combined components of a cable construction stated in the appropriate cable specification. A simplified method is included for the testing of individual components where it is required only to demonstrate compliance with a stated performance requirement for quality control purposes. The significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- improved definition of safety requirements relating to capture of gases;
- introduction of guidance on the preparation of test specimens for more even combustion;
- better expression of tolerances and precision;
- clarification of the conductivity and acidity functions;
- improved definition of the heating procedure;
- greater precision in the definition of the test temperature for the determination of pH value and conductivity;
- correction of the formulae for the calculation of the test results.
This consolidated version consists of the second edition (2011) and its amendment 1 (2019). Therefore, no need to order amendments in addition to this publication.