IEC 62271-103:2021 is applicable to three-phase, alternating current switches and switch-disconnectors for their switching function, having making and breaking current ratings, for indoor and outdoor installations, for rated voltages above 1 kV up to and including 52 kV and for rated frequencies from 162/3 Hz up to and including 60 Hz. This document is also applicable to single-pole switches used on three-phase systems. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- this document has been aligned with IEC 62271-1:2017 and IEC 62271-102:2018;
- clarifications regarding the behaviour of the switch during breaking tests regarding current interruption and restrikes have been added;
- conditions of the switch after making and breaking tests have been clarified;
- a new informative Annex B intended to provide guidance for the calculation of Ief1 and Ief2 has been added;
- new rules for the combination of 50 Hz and 60 Hz switching tests have been defined and a new table (Table 7) has been added;
- tests with specified TRV have been modified to be in accordance with the practice described in IEC 62271-100;
- the behaviour of the switch during breaking tests has been clarified and boundaries for restrike allowance have been defined;
- explanations for short-circuit making tests have been added;
- vacuum integrity check after mechanical operations has been defined;
- all test voltages for single-phase capacitive testing have been grouped under 126.96.36.199.2 and have been confirmed by simulation and calculation.