Codes & Standards - Purchase
Electric road vehicles (EV) covers road vehicles, including plug-in hybrid road vehicles (PHEV) that derive all or part of their energy from on-board rechargeable energy storage systems (RESS).
This document also applies to wireless power transfer (WPT) equipment supplied from on-site storage systems (e.g. buffer batteries).
The aspects covered in this document include
• the characteristics and operating conditions of a supply device,
• the specification for required level of electrical safety of a supply device,
• communication between EV device and vehicle to enable and control WPT,
• efficiency, alignment and other activities to enable WPT, and
• specific EMC requirements for a supply device.
The following aspects are under consideration for future documents:
• requirements for MF-WPT systems supplying power to EVs in motion;
• requirements for bidirectional power transfer.
This document does not apply to:
• safety aspects related to maintenance,
• WPT system for trolley buses, rail vehicles and vehicles designed primarily for use off-road, and
• any safety or EMC requirements for the vehicle side.
IEC 61980-1:2020 cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the contents of IEC 61980-1:2015 have been re-organized so that this document is generally applicable to any WPT technologies;
b) technology specific requirements, mostly for MF-WPT in the main text of IEC 61980-1:2015, have been transferred to IEC 61980-2 and IEC 61980-3;
c) Annex A, Annex B and Annex C have been removed and contents of these annexes have been transferred to the relevant technology specific parts of the IEC 61980 series;
d) duplications and overlaps of the requirements within IEC 61980-1:2015 have been resolved;
e) terms and definitions which are specified in IEC 61851-1:2017 and are applicable for WPT system have been directly described in this document, with modification for some terms. The reference to IEC 61851-1 is withdrawn.