Mobile and fixed offshore units - Electrical installations - Part 6: Installation
It applies to all installations, whether permanent, temporary, transportable or hand-held, to AC installations and DC installations without any voltage level limitation. Referenced equipment standards may give voltage level limitations.
This document specifies requirements such as those concerning
– protection during equipment storage and in the installation period,
– installation of generators and motors,
– installation of transformers,
– installation of switchgear and controlgear assemblies,
– installation of semiconductor converters and UPS,
– installation of secondary cells and batteries,
– installation of luminaires,
– installation of heating and cooking appliances,
– installation of trace and surface heating,
– installation of cables and wiring, both low-voltage and high-voltage cables,
– requirements in relation to earthing and bonding,
– lightning protection;,
– testing of completed installation, and
This document does not apply to
– fixed equipment for medical purposes,
– electrical installations of tankers, and
– control of ignition sources other than those created by electrical equipment.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2013. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) requirements for protection during equipment storage have been added;
b) the special requirements for distribution board enclosures in accommodation spaces have been deleted;
c) requirements for installation of UPS have been updated;
d) requirements regarding the installation of batteries have been modified;
e) requirements for large single-core cables for three-phase AC have been updated;
f) requirements in relation to cable transit systems have been added;
g) the table on the sizes of earth continuity conductors and equipment earthing connections, set out in IEC 61892-4:2007, has been included;
h) requirements as to the installation of controls and instrumentation have been modified; clauses relevant to design and equipment have been deleted.