Mobile and fixed offshore units - Electrical installations - Part 1: General requirements and conditions
It applies to all installations, whether permanent, temporary, transportable or hand-held, to AC installations and DC installations without any voltage level limitation. Referenced equipment standards may give voltage level limitations.
This document specifies requirements such as those concerning
– environmental conditions,
– power supply characteristics,
– location of electrical equipment in units,
– protection against external influences,
– protection against electrical shock, and
– ignition source control.
This document gives information and guidance on topics such as
– cold climate protection, and
– surface treatment and protective painting system.
This document does not apply to
– fixed equipment for medical purposes,
– electrical installations of tankers, and
– control of ignition sources other than those created by electrical equipment.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) voltage limitations have been removed;
b) definitions for fixed offshore units and mobile offshore units have been included;
c) tables for ambient air temperature and relative humidity have been removed, as this information will normally be given in owner's/operator's documentation for specific projects;
d) the requirement as to ignition source control has been moved from IEC 61892-7 to this document;
e) tables for voltage characteristics have been updated;
f) requirements for a minimum degree of protection for equipment have been moved from IEC 61892-2 to this document.