IEC 63044-3:2017 provides the electrical safety requirements related to the HBES/BACS network in addition to the product safety standards for HBES/BACS devices. It also applies to devices used within an HBES/BACS network for which no specific HBES/BACS product safety standard exists. In addition, it defines safety requirements for the interface of equipment intended to be connected to an HBES/BACS network. It does not apply to interfaces to other networks.
NOTE An example of other networks is a dedicated ICT network covered by IEC 62949. This document is applicable to
- operator stations and other human–system interface devices,
- devices for management functions,
- control devices, automation stations and application-specific controllers,
- field devices and their interfaces, and
- cabling and interconnection of devices
used within a dedicated HBES/BACS network. This document covers the following requirements and compliance criteria:
- protection from hazards in the device;
- protection from overvoltages on the network;
- protection from touch current;
- protection from hazards caused by different types of circuit;
- protection of the communication wiring from overheating caused by excessive current.