IEC 61481-1:2014 is applicable to portable phase comparators of capacitive type to be used on electrical systems for voltages exceeding 1 kV a.c. and frequencies of 50 Hz and/or 60 Hz. This standard is applicable to single-pole phase comparators of capacitive type operating with a memory system up to 36 kV a.c., and two-pole phase comparators of capacitive type operating with a wireless connection up to 245 kV a.c. This standard is applicable to phase comparators of capacitive type used in contact with the bare conductive parts to be compared as a complete device including its insulating element or as a separate device, adaptable to an insulating stick which, as a separate tool, is not covered by this standard. A device that is designed to provide other functions than phase comparison is a different device and is not covered by this standard. For example a device designed to be also used as a voltage detector is not covered by this standard. This first edition, together with the first edition of IEC 61481-2, cancels and replaces the first edition of IEC 61481 published in 2001, Amendment 1:2002 and Amendment 2:2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision including the following major changes:
- split of the standard in two parts;
- extension of the scope to include two-pole phase comparators operating with a wireless connection up to 245 kV a.c.;
- review of the requirements for indication;
- introduction of a requirement for a new marking LU for limited use;
- and revision of existing annexes. The contents of the corrigendum of July 2015 have been included in this copy.