IEC 60050-851:2008, which is a part of the IEV, defines terms specifically relevant to electric welding. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 1991. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition included the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition: Due to technical and standardisation progress, new entries had to be made in the sections. The changes in this listing are not numbered as the numbering of this edition is different to the previous edition. The changes are as follows:
- Section 11: This section augmented to take into consideration the development in general.
- Section 12: New terms are added taking care of engine (motor) driven equipment and arc striking and stabilizing devices.
- Section 13: New terms dealing with plasma welding equipment.
- Section 14: The terms concerning consumables had to be enlarged and terms concerning welding equipment such as wire feeders, cooling systems and gas consoles are added.
- Section 15: This section is completely new with the exception of two terms.