CSA C22.2 NO. 250.0:21
Luminaires (Trinational standard with UL 1598 and NMX-J-307/1-ANCE)
This is the harmonized ANCE, CSA Group, and ULSE standard for Luminaires. It is the fourth edition of NMX-J-307/1-ANCE, the fifth edition of CSA C22.2 No. 250.0, and the fifth edition of UL 1598. This edition of CSA C22.2 No. 250.0 supersedes the previous editions published in 2018, 2008, 2004 and 2000. This edition of UL 1598 supersedes the previous edition(s) published in 2018. This harmonized standard has been jointly revised on January 31, 2024. For this purpose, CSA Group and ULSE are issuing revision pages dated January 31, 2024, and ANCE is issuing a new edition dated January 31, 2024.
This harmonized standard was prepared by the Association of Standardization and Certification (ANCE), CSA Group, and ULSE.
This standard is considered suitable for use for conformity assessment within the stated scope of the standard.
The present Mexican standard was developed by the CT 34 – Illumination from the Comité de Normalización de la Asociación de Normalización y Certificación, A.C., CONANCE, with the collaboration of the Luminaires manufacturers and users.
This Standard was reviewed by the CSA Integrated Committee on Lighting Products, under the jurisdiction of the CSA Technical Committee on Consumer and Commercial Products and the CSA Strategic Steering Committee on Requirements for Electrical Safety, and has been formally approved by the CSA Technical Committee. This Standard has been developed in compliance with Standards Council of Canada requirements for National Standards of Canada. It has been published as a National Standard of Canada by CSA Group.
This Standard applies to luminaires for use in non-hazardous locations and that are intended for installation on branch circuits of 600 V nominal or less between conductors in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I (CEC), CSA C22.1, with the U. S. National Electrical Code (NEC), ANSI/NFPA 70, and with the Mexican National Electrical Code, NOM-001-SEDE.
This Standard does not apply to luminaires covered by other standards. The luminaries not covered by this Standard include:
- Amateur Movie Lights;
- Aquarium Lights;
- Cabinet Lights;
- Decorative Lighting Strings;
- Combination Fan/IR Lamps Used for Heating;
- Electric Signs;
- Exit Signs;
- Junction Boxes for Swimming Pool Fixtures;
- Lamp Adapters;
- Low-Level Path Marking and Lighting Systems in the United States;
- Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting as follows:
- For products intended for installation in Canada, landscape lighting systems that are 30 V nominal or less; and
- For products intended for installation in Mexico, low-voltage landscape lighting devices that are 24 V nominal or less.
- For products intended for installation in the United States, low-voltage landscape lighting devices that are of 15 V nominal or less;
- Low Voltage Lighting Fixtures for Use in Recreational Vehicles;
- Low Voltage Marine Lighting;
- Luminaires for Hazardous Locations;
- Luminaires for Recreational Vehicles in the United States;
- Marine Navigational Lights;
- Marine-Type Fixtures;
- Portable Electric Displays;
- Portable Hand Lamps;
- Portable Luminaires;
- Portable Sun/Heat Lamps;
- Self-Ballasted Lamps and Lamp Adapters;
- Stage and Studio Luminaires;
- Submersible Luminaires;
- Swimming Pools Luminaires;
- Temporary Lighting Strings;
- Therapeutic Lamps;
- Track Lighting Systems;
- Under-cabinet Lights in Canada and Cord-connected Under-cabinet Lights in the United States; and
- Unit Equipment for Emergency Lighting.
Requirements applicable to light emitting diode (LED) components and subassemblies integral to a luminaire covered by this standard are provided in UL 8750 and CSA C22.2 No. 250.13.
An update to this product is available.
To receive notifications when an amendment, new edition or update is available to your standard no matter how you purchased it, please register on the Standards Update Service. After registering, enter the List ID for the relevant standard. The List ID can be found in the “CSA Standards Update” section within the first few pages of the standard you’ve purchased. Once notified, you can then update your standard accordingly.
PDF Format Purchased from the CSA Store
If you have purchased or subscribed to a standard from the CSA Store in PDF format, login to your CSA OnDemandTM account to access the updated PDF.
Paper Format Purchased or Purchased from Reseller
If you have purchased a paper copy of the standard from the CSA Store or purchased a standard in paper or PDF format from one of our resellers, login to the Standards Update Service to download the updates in PDF format.