Training - Public
CNG Cylinder and Fuel System Inspector Training
This course provides a prequalified technicians and mechanics with the training in the use of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Container and the knowledge and confidence to successfully complete the Fuel System Inspector Certification.
Inspecting Compressed Natural Gas containers is an important component of ensuring safety and fuel system integrity. Focused on safety, this introductory course offers fleet managers an easy and affordable resource to get their technicians prepared for their Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Cylinder and Fuel System Inspector Certification.
At the end of this course learners will be able to:
- Analyze the vehicle’s history
- Identify potential gas safety hazards
- Demonstrate appropriate cleaning and handling methods
- Identify the appropriate inspection form and checklist that should be used during the inspection process.
- Describe the consequences of various defect levels to both technical and non-technical customers
- Demonstrate the appropriate pressure relief inspection process
- Identify the appropriate sources for both repair and replacement
- Demonstrate the appropriate defueling process
- Service, Maintenance, Safety & Fleet Personnel: Technicians, Mechanics, Maintenance managers, Fleet managers/supervisors and Fleet operators.
- Transportation services [Including but not limited to Bus transportation services (Transit, charter, intercity & rural & school buses)]
- Government / Municipal
- Fuel distributors
- Solid waste services & Recycling (Refuse)
- Automotive Repair & Maintenance Services
- Automotive Parts manufacturing
- Airport Operations
What Is Included
- Participant Guide including course activities and appropriate handouts
- Certification Exam
- Course Overview
- Natural Gas Properties and Preparation for Inspection
- Determine CNG Container Inspection Requirements
- Physical Inspection of High-pressure Components
- Original CNG Fuel System Installation
- Physical Assessment of CNG Containers
- Codes and Standards
- Pressure Relief Device (PRD) Inspection
- Defueling and Decommissioning
- Inspection Reporting
- Manufacturer Information
Jim Rike is known throughout the industry for his vast knowledge and understanding of natural gas. Rike began his career immediately following his vocational education as a heavy duty wreck mechanic and eventually went on to manage a heavy duty equipment installation facility. In 2010 Rike and his team ventured into alternative fuels, bringing 19 snow and ice CNG units to market. Rike’s focus quickly shifted to the Natural Gas Vehicle industry, and in an effort to bring new innovation, he sought out a partnership with Trilogy Engineered Solutions. Rike’s team installed over 400 CNG units nationwide from 2012 to 2013. Through this experience Rike realized the value of adequate training and partnered with AFV International to develop and provide CSA/CNG fuel system inspector certification training for Kenworth Truck Company’s dealer network. In 2015, Rike joined Worthington Industries Alternative Fuels and was instrumental in their acquisition of Trilogy Engineered Solutions. During his 4-year stint with Worthington Industries, Rike expanded his knowledge and understanding of CNG through product design and development. In 2019, he parted ways with Worthington Industries and started Rikeology LLC, focusing primarily on natural gas vehicle parts sales and training. Rike also partnered with AFV International as a training instructor and the Director of Business Development, and eventually developed a successful virtual training program. Rike’s passion for the CNG industry and his desire to share his vast knowledge are displayed through his success as a trainer.
- CNG Fuel Inspector Resource Package
- Workshop attendees are strongly advised to bring a copy of NFPA-52 and CGA C-6.4 to their scheduled session, as it will be frequently referenced.
CSA Group can develop and deliver a customized training session at your place of business to meet specific requirements.Learn More
GST REG No R119441681
QST REG No R1006017360