Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems Certified (SPVC) Certification (NOC 7241)
The Construction Electrician (NOC 7241) Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems Certified (PVSC) Personnel Certification has been developed by CSA Group in conjunction with the National Electrical Trade Council (NETCO) and industry stakeholders to provide assurance that an individual possesses the competencies deemed necessary to perform the job function of a Solar Photovoltaic Systems Certified electrician.
The development of this certification is guided by the ISO/IEC 17024 standard. ISO/IEC 17024 is the global benchmark for organizations operating personnel certification programs and outlines the methods and procedures required to ensure the objective and unbiased assessment of a candidate’s knowledge, skills and abilities. Passing the PVSC examination will indicate that the candidate possesses the knowledge, skills and decision-making abilities necessary to practice the proper techniques to pre-plan, implement, configure, install, commission, troubleshoot and maintain solar PV systems.
This certification addresses the need to confirm the demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities of qualified construction electricians who install and maintain solar photovoltaic power generation systems and equipment for use in settings such as industrial, commercial, institutional, power generation and residential settings in compliance with appropriate Codes, Standards and industry best practices.
The certification indicates that you can apply safe and effective installation of solar equipment with reduced the risk of serious accident, injury and also to help promote energy efficiency and increased public confidence in PV installations.
- Electrical Trades
- Electrical Contractors
- Energy Generation and Distribution / Utilities Energy and Renewables
- Consulting Firms
- Engineering Firms
- Industrial / Commercial and Residential Construction
Recognized Training Providers:
National Electrical Trade Council
Stardust Solar Technologies Inc
Electrical Joint Training Committee
Please note that being listed as a CSA Recognized Training Provider does not mean that this program is a certified CSA program.
Acceptance as a CSA Recognized Training Provider is an acknowledgement from CSA Group that after careful review, the training provider ‘s curriculum has been determined to cover, at a minimum, the knowledge areas identified by the committee of industry subject matter experts for the related personnel certification program.
Minimum Candidate Qualifications
The Construction Electrician (NOC 7241) Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems Certified certification tests each candidate’s knowledge to ensure the candidate possesses the knowledge and skills of a minimally qualified candidate. CSA’s expert committee defines the minimally qualified candidate as follows:
The minimally qualified candidate can perform Solar PV system installation activities without assistance, including (but not limited to):
- Understand the latest installation methods and technologies,
- Read, understand and apply standards, codes and manufacturer’s instructions, industry best practices and building science concepts,
- Utilize the appropriate materials, methods and select use and maintain tools required for the proper installation of Solar Photovoltaic Systems,
- Understand construction documentation including drawings and written specifications,
- Understand and apply the latest construction and building technologies,
- Utilize the tools of the trade,
- Show competence in basic worksite Occupational Health and Safety Requirements,
- Basic communication skills.
To apply to take the Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems Certified exam for certification, candidates must satisfy the following prerequisites:
1. Construction Electrician (NOC 7241) Certificate of Qualification.
2. Completion of a recognized Solar PV specific training program consisting of in class and a practical (hands-on) component
Note: Program open to apprentices. Certification will be granted upon issuance of NOC 7241 certificate (must be provided within 6 months of initial application date).
When your application is submitted and accepted by CSA Group, you will have 6 months to complete the certification process.
You will be permitted to challenge the written exam up to two additional times if necessary, for a total of three times per application. Additional sitting fees are applicable for second and third exam attempts as necessary.
Fees submitted with your initial application cover the application fee and one examination attempt.
Once you have passed the exam and have earned certification, you will be listed on CSA Group's People Search database of certified personnel.