Z1003 Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace
Navigating the National Standard for Successful Implementation
The implementation of CAN/CSA Z1003-13/BNQ 9700-803/2013, Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace - Prevention, Promotion and Guidance to Staged Implementation can help organizations support and continuously improve psychologically healthy and safe work environments for their employees. With a focus on the proactive management of hazards and risks associated with mental injury, this standard highlights the importance and complexity of this subject and provides comprehensive and systematic guidelines to minimize organizational risks.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the components of a Psychological Health and Safety Management System (PHSMS).
- Describe your organization’s reason for implementing a PHSMS.
- Recognize the importance of a business case in obtaining the organization’s buy-in.
- Identify what must be present to create organizational support for the PHSMS implementation.
- Explain the importance of a baseline when initiating the implementation of a PHSMS.
- Identify potential hazards in the workplace and the importance of evaluating their risk to the workers.
- Identify resources to protect and promote psychological health and safety in the workplace.
- Identify the steps to be followed when conducting a risk assessment.
- Identify the points to consider when setting objectives and targets for your PHSMS.
- Describe the steps involved in action planning.
- Recognize the elements of an implementation strategy.
- Identify key points to consider when implementing your plan.
- Describe the requirements of the National Standard relating to reporting and investigation.
- Recognize examples of proactive and reactive monitoring and measurement activities.
- Describe the importance of a management review and its role in the continuous improvement of your Psychological Health and Safety Management System (PHSMS).
- Occupational Health & Safety Professionals
- Human Resources Professionals
- Corporate Directors, Managers and Supervisors
- Joint Health & Safety Committee Members
What is Included
Quick reference guide
*Please note that both the Standard and Implementation Handbook are not included but are available for free download or view access:
Estimated Completion Time
6-8 hours (90 days course access)
This event contains 6 technical hours and may be eligible for Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professional (BCRSP) Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points. See the BCRSP website for CPD point criteria.
- Review the background of the Standard and current landscape of Psychological Health and Safety (PHS)
- Introduce the PHS framework and understand relevant terms and definitions
- Identify and assess organizational needs; develop the business case to engage internal stakeholders
- Perform a risk assessment to identify and eliminate hazards and mitigate risks
- Develop an effective implementation plan through governance and integration with current systems
- Implement the plan and ensure its success through ongoing monitoring, measurement, and continuous improvement
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
For web browser:
- Microsoft Edge (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
- All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
NOT accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android).