Medical Device Reprocessing in Dental Health Care Settings
This course emphasizes practical information and CSA Z314:23, Canadian medical device reprocessing in all health care settings requirements.
You see on-the-job examples, review steps, and complete activities on how to properly reprocess reusable medical devices and equipment so they are safe for patient use.
This course also covers how to protect you and other MDR personnel as you perform the role.
This online training course has not been designed to serve as a training pre-requisite for the Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician or Supervisor (CMDRT/CMDRS) Certification.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of medical device reprocessing of dental devices
- Recognize and reduce risks of health care-associated infections
- List organizations and standards that impact reprocessing practices
- Summarize safety practices
- Define the importance of a quality management system and manufacturer’s instructions
- Explain the design of MDR work areas in dental health care settings
- List Spaulding Classification System of risk
- Outline reprocessing steps from pre-clean through drying
- Outline reprocessing steps for disinfection in a dental health care setting
- Outline reprocessing steps for preparation, packaging, sterilization and storage
- Outline reprocessing steps for monitoring and documenting the sterilization process
- Describe medical device traceability and recalls
- Illustrate reprocessing preparedness during a pandemic
Following audiences to MDR in Dental Health Care
- Dental Assistants
- MDR Technicians & Supervisors
- MDR Students & New Graduates (current & alumni)
- Medical Assistants
- Newcomers to Canada (new)
View Only Access to the CSA Group Z314 Medical Device Reprocessing Standard through the CSA Communities
(You must be logged-in for free view access. If you do not have login access, please create an account).
Estimated Completion Time
11 hours (90 days access to course)
- Overview of Medical Device Reprocessing (MDR) in Community Dental Health Care Settings
- Recognizing and Reducing Risks of Health Care-associated Infections
- Organizations and Standards that Impact Reprocessing Practices in Community Dental Health Care Settings
- Medical Device Reprocessing Safety Practices
- Quality Management System, MDR Personnel, Manufacturer’s Instructions, and Reusable Medical Device Evaluation and Purchase
- Reprocessing Work Area Design
- Spaulding Classification System and Overview of Medical Device Reprocessing
- Reprocessing Equipment, Reprocessing Steps for Cleaning and Decontamination, Difficult to Reprocess Devices and Lubricants
- Disinfection of Dental Equipment
- Preparation, Packaging, Sterilization and Storage of Medical Devices
- Monitoring and Documenting the Sterilization Process
- Medical Device Traceability and Recalls
- External Contracted MDR Providers and Reprocessing Preparedness during a Pandemic
CSA Z314:23, Canadian medical device reprocessing in all health care settings
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
For web browser:
- Microsoft Edge (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
- All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
NOT accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android).