Training - Online
NISI Standards and Climate Change in Canada's North
This no-charge course serves as an introduction to the most important considerations regarding the effects of extreme weather, climate change and changing environmental conditions have on northern infrastructure.
The course presents the requirements featured in the National Standards as part of the Northern Infrastructure Standardization Initiative (NISI) that were developed to address the impact of climate change on infrastructure in Canada's North. Course participants will learn how climate change can be considered in infrastructure planning, design, development and management and participants will also gain a general understanding of which infrastructure and hazard types NISI standards currently address.
- Understand the important socioeconomic, landscape, and environmental factors that can make the design, development and management of community infrastructure in the North uniquely different than in other regions of Canada areas
- Discover the role of NISI standards in helping to mitigate risks posed by extreme weather, climate change and climate variability in the North and identify strategies for managing additional and uncontrolled risks due to climate change
- Gain an understanding of key climate, weather, and climate change principles and terminology and differentiate climate from weather
- Develop a deeper understanding of the recent projected changes in northern climate and explain how climate changes and changes in the operating environment can impact their role
- Learn about the potential consequences of climate change, combined with other stressors, for the performance of community infrastructure in the North
- Understand the impact that climate change has on the cost control of infrastructure management in northern communities
Why get your training from CSA?
In 2012, CSA Group was selected by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) to develop standards to help address the impact of climate change in Northern Canada as part of the Northern Infrastructure Standardization Initiative (NISI). CSA Group has actively been researching the role standards and codes play in helping to mitigate the risk associated with changing climate and its impact on infrastructure in various regions of Canada since 2005. Our training reflects the latest industry research and the experts of technical experts to help participants apply these standards.
- Public works foremen
- Public housing maintenance manager
- Housing managers
- Utilities workers in Northern climates
- NISI Standards
Note: Online training purchases will be activated within 1 business day.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
•Pentium II 450MHz or higher, 128 MB RAM
•if using windows, we recommend XP or newer
For web browser:
•Adobe Flash Player version 8 or better installed
•Internet Explorer 7 and up (we also support newer version of Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera)
•All pop-up blockers either disabled or set to allow pop-ups from this website; cookies enabled for this website
Accessible on mobile/portable devices such as iPads (iOS) and tablets (Android).