This Recommendation / International Standard defines a systems management function which may be used by an application process in a centralized or decentralized management environment to interact for the purposes of systems management, as defined by CCITT Rec. X.700 / ISO/IEC 7498-4. This Recommendation / International Standard defines the object management function that consists of services, functional units, and generic definitions. It is positioned in the application layer of CCITT Rec. X.200 / ISO 7498 and is defined according to the model provided by ISO/IEC 9545. The role of systems management functions are described by CCITT Rec. X.701 / ISO/IEC 10040.
This Recommendation / International Standard
- establishes user requirements for the object management function;
- establishes a model that relates the services and generic definitions provided by this function to user requirements;
- defines the services provided by the function;
- defines generic notification types and parameters documented in accordance with CCITT Rec. X.722 / ISO/IEC 10165-4;
- specifies the protocol that is necessary in order to provide the services;
- defines the relationship between these services and management operations and notifications;
- specifies compliance requirements placed on other Standards that make use of these generic definitions;
- defines relationships with other systems management functions;
- specifies conformance requirements.
This Recommendation / International Standard does not
- define the nature of any implementation intended to provide the object management function;
- specify the manner in which management is accomplished by the user of the object management function;
- define the nature of any interactions which result in the use of the object management function;
- specify the services necessary for the establishment, normal and abnormal release of a management association;
- preclude the definition of further notification types;
- define managed objects.