Information technology — Cloud computing — Edge computing landscape (Adopted ISO/IEC TR 23188:2020, first edition, 2020-02)
Standards development within the Information Technology sector is harmonized with international standards development. Through the CSA Technical Committee on Information Technology (TCIT), Canadians serve as the SCC Mirror Committee (SMC) on ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 on Information Technology (ISO/IEC JTC1) for the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), the ISO member body for Canada and sponsor of the Canadian National Committee of the IEC. Also, as a member of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Canada participates in the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (ITU-T).
For brevity, this Standard will be referred to as CSA ISO/IEC TR 23188 throughout.
At the time of publication, ISO/IEC TR 23188:2020 is available from ISO and IEC in English only. CSA Group will publish the French version when it becomes available from ISO and IEC.
This Standard has been formally approved, without modification, by the Technical Committee and has been developed in compliance with Standards Council of Canada requirements for National Standards of Canada. It has been published as a National Standard of Canada by CSA Group.
This document examines the concept of edge computing, its relationship to cloud computing and IoT, and the technologies that are key to the implementation of edge computing. This document explores the following topics with respect to edge computing:
- concept of edge computing systems;
- architectural foundation of edge computing;
- edge computing terminology;
- software classifications in edge computing, e.g. firmware, services, applications;
- supporting technologies, e.g. containers, serverless computing, microservices;
- networking for edge systems, including virtual networks;
- data, e.g. data flow, data storage, data processing;
- management, of software, of data and of networks, resources, quality of service;
- virtual placement of software and data, and metadata;
- security and privacy;
- real time;
- mobile edge computing, mobile devices.