Codes & Standards - Subscribe
ANSI/CSA HGV 4.2-2013 (R2019)
Hoses for compressed hydrogen fuel stations, dispensers and vehicle fuel systems
Industry need for a standard addressing safety requirements for hydrogen hoses was the catalyst for CSA Group to create this document. ANSI/CSA HGV 4.2-2013 - Hoses for Compressed Hydrogen Fuel Stations, Dispensers and Vehicle Fuel Systems addresses safety requirements for hoses used for compressed hydrogen fuel stations, dispensers and vehicle fuel systems. This standard established performance based requirements for the construction and performance of newly manufactured hydrogen hose and hose assemblies which are part of the dispensing station and vehicle on-board fuel system.
This standard applies to:
- The mechanical and electrical features of newly manufactured systems that dispense compressed hydrogen gas directly into the fuel storage container of the vehicle.
- HGV dispensers that integrate in a single unit multiple dispensing functions (e.g. fuel metering, registering, control and management devices, vehicle fuel cylinder overfill and over pressure protection with listed hoses with nozzles).
- HGV dispensers used with gas composition specified by the Hydrogen Fuel Quality for Fuel Cell Vehicles, SAE J2719.
- Each dispenser may have the capability of independently fueling more than one vehicle simultaneously.
This publication represents a standard for safe operation, substantial and durable construction and performance testing of gaseous hydrogen hose and hose assemblies which are used as a part of the dispensing station to connect the dispenser to the refueling nozzle; used as part of a vehicle on-board fuel system; or used as vent lines which carry gas to a safe location for either vehicles or dispensing systems.
This standard contains safety requirements for material, design, manufacture and testing of gaseous hydrogen hose and hose assemblies. This standard applies to newly manufactured hose and hose assemblies for:
- connecting the dispenser to the fueling nozzle, high pressure (class A)
- used as part of a vehicle on-board fuel storage system, high pressure (class B)
- used as part of a vehicle low pressure fuel delivery system, (class C)
- flexible hoses used on hydrogen fuel station equipment (class D )
Note: Class D hoses include all station side hydrogen hoses where flexibility is necessary and acceptable to the certification agency
The requirements of this standard may be superseded by an application specific standard.
All dimensions used in this standard are in metric units [International System of Units (SI)], unless otherwise specified. If a value for a measurement, as given in this standard, is followed by an equivalent value in other units, the first stated is to be regarded as the specification.
All references to pressure throughout this document are to be considered gauge pressures unless otherwise specified.
For clarification of which clause applies to which type of flexible hose see Appendix A, Applications Summary (Hose/Assembly).
Exhibit A contains a list of standards specifically referenced in this standard, and sources from which these reference standards may be obtained.