LED Horticultural Lamp Testing
Growing Products and Profits Efficiently and Safely
Did You Know?
- With LED horticultural lighting, it’s possible to fine-tune the light wavelength composition to optimize growth of specific plants at specific phases of their growth cycle. It’s also possible to create multi-story growing facilities as LED luminaires can shed light uniformly.
- Strategies Unlimited estimates the market for LED lighting for Horticultural vertical farming will grow to $350 million by 2022 globally.
Sustainable agriculture is becoming ever more important in a world dealing with a changing climate and resource constraints. Greenhouses with advanced technology play an important role in sustainable crop cultivation, especially LED horticultural lamps. These special light sources complement natural light without the heat of traditional lamps, helping improve crop growth all year round.
High humidity, high temperature, water spray, and airborne contaminates like fertilizers can all affect the performance of horticultural lighting.
And because they’re for both illumination and horticultural purposes, these “grow lights” can have a significant effect on people – especially their heightened infrared, ultraviolet and deep blue wavelengths optimized for growing.
Add in the fact that there isn’t a robust set of regulatory and evaluation standards for horticultural lighting yet – for either performance or safety – and you need a knowledgeable partner in bringing horticultural LED lighting to market.
Your Horticultural LED Lighting Expert
CSA Group has been involved in the design, prototyping, and testing of specialized LED horticultural lighting since 2008. Whether it’s designing a lighting product from a concept, refining a prototype design, or testing and measuring the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) values of a finished product, we’ve been there and have the experience to help you.
Horticultural LED Tests and Certifications
Ensuring optimal performance and safety of your LED horticultural lamps
We can also work with you on cybersecurity, functional safety, ENERGY STAR, and Energy Efficiency Verification (EEV) certifications. As the CSA mark is known worldwide for credibility and quality, it gives your product a vital peace-of-mind to consumers.
Performance and Reliability Testing
Greenhouses often have elevated ambient temperatures and a corrosive environment. CSA Group can help ensure your horticultural lights will withstand the demanding greenhouse and indoor farming environments seen in today’s agriculture. We test your lighting equipment against these accepted measures and standards:
- Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) output
- Evaluation of Yield Photon Flux (YPF); YPF is photon flux weighted by the McCree quantum yield spectrum
- IEC 60598-1 for Ingress Protection (IP Code)
- ANSI/UL 1598, CSA C22.2 No. 250.0
- SpectralSuite3 LED metrology software supports PAR and can be used to determine how much of the PAR and Yield YPF is present in an existing lighting design
We can also test your horticultural LED products against the DesignLights Consortium® (DLC) Horticultural Fixture Program. As a leading non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating the widespread adoption of high-performing commercial lighting solutions, DLC will continually update these technical performance requirements and CSA Group will keep informed of any changes, evolving our horticultural LED testing services to keep pace.
Human Photobiological Testing
The UV, IR, and deep blue wavelengths of horticultural LED lighting can be harmful to human skin and eyes. To understand the safety of your fixtures, we evaluate and test their photobiological safety to:
- ANSI/IESNA RP-27, Recommended Practice for Photobiological Safety for Lamps
- CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 62471:12 Photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems
- Evaluation to IEC 62471 (CIE S009)
- Evaluation to IEC 60825-1
Other CSA LED Testing & Measurement Services Available
- Photometric and Lumen Maintenance Testing – LM-79 and LM-80 Luminaire Testing
- Phosphor & Fluorescence Testing
- LED Horticultural Lamp Testing
- CEC Title 24 Joint Appendix 8 (JA8)
- Eye Safety (ANSI/IESNA RP-27)
- Unified Glare Rating
- Flat Panel Display Testing
- High-Irradiance Stress Testing
- ETΦ LED Characterization (Electrical-Thermal-Optical)
- Angular Distribution Characterization
Growing Opportunities for LED Manufacturers in the Horticultural Market
More and more farmers are switching from traditional farming methods to commercial greenhouse operations and vertical farming because they produce better yields, help address natural resource constraints, and offer shelter from unfavorable weather and climate change.Read White Paper View all White Papers
Growing Opportunities for LED Manufacturers in the Horticultural MarketRead White Paper
Explore standards for a wide range of industries
Get your horticultural LED products tested, evaluated, and certified for compliance and fast global market access
Transform your innovations into quality products that meet critical requirements with our expert LED testing services.
Launch new products and boost customer confidence in North America and beyond with our global certification services.
The Latest from CSA Group
Shedding Light on New Standards and Data Requirements for Testing & Certification of Horticultural LEDsRead the Article
This new Test Method Helps LED Manufacturers Bring Compliant, Higher-Quality Products to the Horticultural MarketRead the Article
Protecting Connected Devices Against Cyber AttackRead the White Paper
A Simple Guide to CertificationView the Infographic
OSHA Recognition Helps CSA Group Expand Your OpportunitiesRead the White Paper
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us