LED Eye Safety & Photobiological Testing
Ensure your LED products are safe for people and ready for market entry
Did You Know?
- Photobiology is the study of the interaction of optical radiation with living organisms. It’s especially important in understanding the effect on human eyes and skin.
- A University of Houston College of Optometry study found that the short wavelength blue light from LEDs can disrupt the body’s release of melatonin, making going to sleep difficult.
As LED technology has integrated into nearly every aspect of our lives, from lighting to phones to automobiles, concerns about eye safety have become more widespread. Research indicates that hazards such as eyestrain, headaches, and eye damage risk are associated with LED use, specifically the exposure to the blue light emissions in white LEDs. These concerns have made eye safety and photobiological testing a critical component of producing quality LED products.
CSA Group is a world leader in LED testing, especially determining blue light hazards around LEDs. We utilize state-of-the-art protocols, such as American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) recommended practices, for LED eye safety and photobiological testing and evaluation. We can also work with you on cybersecurity, functional safety, ENERGY STAR, Energy Efficiency Verification (EEV) — and even help inform development of new LED products.
Testing and Evaluation Services
We provide testing, evaluation, and standards solutions for a wide array of LED products
Some reactions to LED lights include: photokeratitis, ultraviolet erythema, ulltraviolet cataract, photoretinitis, retinal thermal injury and Infrared cataract. And the American Medical Association has issued a policy statement on the color temperatures of street lighting. CSA Group can help you shape your LED products to minimize their human effects.
Specialized Testing to Determine Blue Light Hazards
We offer a full complement of LED eye safety and photobiological tests, including:
- Photobiological safety testing and evaluation
- Harmonized UL / CSA standards for North America
- CB Scheme
- ANSI/IESNA RP-27 – Recommended Practice for Photobiological Safety for Lamps
- CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 62471:12 Photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems
- IEC 62471 (CIE S009)
- IEC 60825-1
- ANSI Z80.36
- ISO 15004-2:2007 – Light Hazard Assessment for Ophthalmic Instruments Report validating traceable testing procedures
- Recommendations for appropriate product classifications and labeling
Other CSA LED Testing and Measurement Services
Our proven experts are ready to test your LED products against a wide range of international testing protocols.
- Photometric and Lumen Maintenance Testing – LM 79 and LM 80 Luminaire Testing
- Phosphor & Fluorescence Testing
- LED Horticultural Lamp Testing
- CEC Title 24 Joint Appendix 8 (JA8)
- Eye Safety (ANSI/IESNA RP-27)
- Unified Glare Rating
- Flat Panel Display Testing
- High-Irradiance Stress Testing
- ETΦ LED Characterization (Electrical-Thermal-Optical)
- Angular Distribution Characterization
OSHA Recognition Helps CSA Group Expand Your Opportunities
You can trust CSA marks will be accepted in the U.S. because we are recognized by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), meaning CSA Group is fully qualified to test and certify LED lighting and a wide range of other products to U.S. national standards for safety and performance.Read White Paper View all White Papers
OSHA Recognition Helps CSA Group Expand Your OpportunitiesRead White Paper
Explore standards for a wide range of industries
Ensure your LED products are tested, inspected, and certified for compliance and global market access
Transform your innovations into quality products that meet critical requirements with our expert LED testing services.
Launch new products and boost customer confidence in North America and beyond with our global certification services
The Latest from CSA Group
Shedding Light on New Standards and Data Requirement for Testing & Certification of Horticultural LEDsRead our Perspective
Protecting Connected Devices Against Cyber AttackRead the White Paper
Breaking Down Cybersecurity and Functional Safety Requirements for Industrial Control SystemsWatch the Webinar
Growing Opportunities for LED Manufacturers in the Horticultural MarketRead the White Paper
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.Contact Us