Electronic Logging Device (ELD) Certification Program
Meet the requirements of Transport Canada’s ELD mandate
As a Certification Body (CB), accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) and Transport Canada, CSA Group offers testing and certification services for ELDs regardless of the manufacturer’s country of origin.
Why mandate the use of ELDs?
- Regulations related to the use of ELDs instead of paper logs come down to safety, not only for the drivers but for all transportation network users. For carriers and fleet managers, the ELD mandate plays a significant role in how their drivers continue to comply with Hours of Service (HOS) regulations.
- “Driver fatigue is recognized in Canada and internationally as a critical risk factor associated with motor vehicle crashes,” says a Government of Canada Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement. “Fatigue in commercial drivers is especially important given that crashes involving large trucks and buses can cause more severe injuries and more frequent fatalities than private passenger vehicle crashes.”
As of June 12, 2021, Transport Canada’s ELD mandate requires all federally regulated commercial trucks, buses, and other fleet vehicles operating in Canada to be equipped with a tested and certified ELD. Motor carriers and fleet management companies will need to equip their vehicles with certified ELDs to meet the mandate, moving away from traditional paper logging.
To achieve certification, ELD manufacturers must meet the requirements of the Technical Standard for Electronic Logging Devices published by the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA).
When manufacturers work with CSA Group to certify their devices through the ELD Certification Program, they can be confident that they’ll get:
• Evaluation services aligned with the CCMTA’s Technical Standard for Electronic Logging Devices
• Testing services that follow the procedures and methodologies of Transport Canada’s Electronic Logging Device Test Procedures
• Predictable project delivery timelines
• Seamless integration with your product development cycle
• Access to knowledgeable technicians and certifiers that walk you through every step of the process
Learn more about our certification process.
You can also view Transport Canada’s list of ELDs certified for use in Canada on the Transport Canada website.
Besides ELD testing and certification services, CSA Group offers a suite of solutions for all your product certification, inspection, and evaluation needs.
Transform your innovations into quality products that meet critical requirements with our expert testing services.
Launch new products and boost customer confidence in North America and beyond with our global certification services.
We’re always here to help. Let’s talk.
We’re here to answer your questions and help you get started right away. Call or send us a message anytime.