ISO 529:2017 specifies the general dimensions of short machine taps and hand taps. These dimensions, established as functions of the thread diameter and pitch, are the following:
- length of thread (maximum);
- overall length;
- shank diameter and dimensions of driving square;
- dimensions of the connecting portion between the shank and threaded part.
ISO 529:2017 is applicable to taps intended for cutting the following threads:
a) ISO metric threads:
- coarse pitch;
- fine pitch;
b) ISO inch threads:
- Unified Coarse series (UNC) and Unified Fine series (UNF);
c) Inch threads, non-recommended:
- British Standard Whitworth (BSW) and British Standard Fine (BSF);
- British Association (BA).
NOTE 1 The overall length, thread length and diameters of shank for taps whose thread diameter and pitch are not listed in tables are given in Table A.1.
NOTE 2 Annex B gives an abstract from ISO 237 for shank diameters and size of driving squares, for information.
NOTE 3 Technical specifications for taps covered by this document (including marking) are given in ISO 8830.