ISO 5393:2017 specifies a laboratory performance test method for power assembly tools (referred throughout the document as tool) for installing threaded fasteners.
ISO 5393:2017 provides a method for the measurement of torque repeatability (scatter)
- over a range of torque rates as specified in this document,
- over a range of torque adjustment as defined by the manufacturer, and
- over a number of operating cycles as defined by the manufacturer.
ISO 5393:2017 provides a method for the measurement of the precision of the built-in torque measurement system for tools incorporating such a feature. See Annex E.
ISO 5393:2017 gives instructions on equipment parameters, what to test for and how to evaluate and present the test data.
ISO 5393:2017 is applicable to tools
- of any power source, e.g. pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric, including battery-powered,
- which apply torque in a generally continuous manner, and
- within the torque range 0,5 Nm to 2 000 Nm. Outside this range, it is acceptable to modify the test method providing that the modification is documented in the test report.
ISO 5393:2017 is not applicable to
- impact or impulse wrenches,
- ratchet wrenches or wrenches with ratcheting clutches, and
- other tools which advance fasteners in discontinuous increments, overcoming static friction at each increment.
ISO 5393:2017 allows a test to be performed at any test torque level; however, in order to minimize the number of test joints necessary for a wide range of test torque levels, a list of preferred test torque levels is provided in Annex A.