Codes & Standards - Purchase
Certain bolts and screws might not fulfil the tensile or torsional requirements of ISO 898-1:2013 because the geometry of their heads reduces the shear area in the head compared to the stress area in the thread. These include bolts and screws having a low or countersunk head.
ISO 898-1:2013 is applicable to bolts, screws and studs
- made of carbon steel or alloy steel,
- having triangular ISO metric screw thread in accordance with ISO 68-1,
- with coarse pitch thread M1,6 to M39, and fine pitch thread M8×1 to M39×3,
- with diameter/pitch combinations in accordance with ISO 261 and ISO 262, and
- having thread tolerances in accordance with ISO 965-1, ISO 965-2 and ISO 965-4.
It is not applicable to set screws and similar threaded fasteners not under tensile stress (see ISO 898-5).
It does not specify requirements for such properties as weldability, corrosion resistance resistance to shear stress, torque/clamp force performance (for test method, see ISO 16047), or fatigue resistance.