Information technology -- A code of practice for the use of information technology (IT) in the delivery of assessments
ISO/IEC 23988:2007 provides a means of
- showing that the delivery and scoring of the assessment are fair and do not disadvantage some groups of candidates, for example those who are not IT literate;
- showing that a summative assessment has been conducted under secure conditions and is the authentic work of the candidate;
- showing that the validity of the assessment is not compromised by IT delivery;
- providing evidence of the security of the assessment, which can be presented to regulatory and funding organizations (including regulatory bodies in education and training, in industry or in financial services);
- establishing a consistent approach to the regulations for delivery, which should be of benefit to assessment centres who deal with more than one assessment distributer;
- giving an assurance of quality to purchasers of off-the-shelf assessment software.
ISO/IEC 23988:2007 gives recommendations on the use of IT to deliver assessments to candidates and to record and score their responses. Its scope is defined in terms of three dimensions: the types of assessment to which it applies, the stages of the assessment life cycle to which it applies and its focus on specifically IT aspects.