IEC 60335-2-11:2024 CMV
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-11: Particular requirements for tumble dryers
IEC 60335-2-11:2024 deals with the safety of electric tumble dryers intended for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances. This standard applies to the drying function of washing machines having a drying cycle. This standard also deals with the safety of heat pump type tumble dryers. These appliances may use flammable refrigerants. Additional requirements for these appliances are given in normative Annex AA. Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard. Examples of such appliances are tumble dryers for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes. As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons.
However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances incorporating steam generating devices in which steam is produced at a pressure exceeding 50 kPa.
This ninth edition cancels and replaces the eighth edition published in 2019. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (Clause 1, Annex AA);
c) implement new definitions to type of appliances (3.5.102, 3.5.103, 3.5.104);
d) specific requirements have been added in 22.51 for remote operation;
e) specific requirements have been added in Clause 24 for motor running capacitors;
f) new modifications in Annex R;
g) update of requirements for appliance that use flammable refrigerants in Clause 21 and Clause 22 of Annex AA;
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.