IEC 60335-2-7:2024 CMV
Household and similar electrical appliances - Safety - Part 2-7: Particular requirements for washing machines
IEC 60335-2-7:2024 deals with the safety of electric washing machines for household and similar use, that are intended for washing clothes and textiles, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances. This standard also deals with the safety of electric washing machines for household and similar use employing an electrolyte instead of detergent. Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by washing machines that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account:
- persons (including children) whose: physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for washing machines intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
- washing machines intended exclusively for industrial purposes (ISO 10472-2);
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- washing machines incorporating steam generating devices in which steam is produced at a pressure exceeding 50 kPa;
- washing machines for commercial use including those for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes (IEC 60335-2-122).
This ninth edition cancels and replaces the eighth edition published in 2019. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (Clause 1, 20.104, 20.105);
c) addition of requirements for restarting the spin cycle of agitator washing machines and impeller washing machines (20.108);
d) addition of requirements for remote operation (22.51);
e) application of test probe 19 has been introduced (8.1.1, 20.2).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.