Universal serial bus interfaces for data and power - Part 1-3: Common components - USB Type-C® Cable and Connector Specification
The USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification defines a new receptacle, plug, cable and detection mechanisms that are compatible with existing USB interface electrical and functional specifications. This specification covers the following aspects that are needed to produce and use this new USB cable/connector solution in newer platforms and devices, and that interoperate with existing platforms and devices:
- USB Type-C receptacles, including electro-mechanical definition and performance requirements
- USB Type-C plugs and cable assemblies, including electro-mechanical definition and performance requirements
- USB Type-C to legacy cable assemblies and adapters
- USB Type-C-based device detection and interface configuration, including support for legacy connections
- USB Power Delivery optimized for the USB Type-C connector.
This specification is intended as a supplement to the existing USB 2.0, USB 3.1 and USB Power Delivery specifications. It addresses only the elements required to implement and support the USB Type-C receptacles, plugs and cables.
Normative information is provided to allow interoperability of components designed to this specification. Informative information, when provided, may illustrate possible design implementations.
IEC 62680-1-3:2021 cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2018 and constitutes a technical revision.
New release primarily for enabling USB4 over USB Type-C connectors and cables. Also includes incorporation of all approved ECNs as of the revision date plus editorial clean-up.