IEC 61228:2020 describes the method of measuring, evaluating and specifying the UV irradiation characteristics of fluorescent ultraviolet lamps that are used in appliances for tanning purposes. It includes specific requirements regarding the marking of such lamps. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2008. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- maintenance code: description of the depreciation of the UV irradiance lamp during operation;
- operating position: information added for single capped lamps;
- spectroradiometric measuring system: new information about distance between sensor and lamp axis;
- measurement and evaluation procedure: separated detailed information for double capped fluorescent UV lamps and single capped fluorescent UV lamps;
- Annex C (normative), Method of test for irradiance maintenance: new information added;
- Annex D (normative), Reflector gauge: new information added;
- Annex E (normative), Lamp datasheets for measurement: complementary information added.