Codes & Standards - Purchase
- are supplied from AC voltage not exceeding 1 000 V,
- deliver AC output voltage not exceeding 1 000 V,
- incorporate an energy storage device not exceeding 1 500 V DC, and
- have a primary function to ensure continuity of load power.
This document specifies performance and test requirements of a complete UPS and, where applicable, of individual UPS functional units. This document also includes UPS performance and test requirements related to UPS switches that interact with UPS functional units to maintain continuity of load power.
This document does not cover
- conventional AC and DC distribution boards and their associated switches,
- stand-alone static transfer systems covered by IEC 62310-3,
- rotary UPS covered by IEC 88528-11, and
- DC UPS covered by IEC 62040-5-3.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
1) environmental conditions aligned with IEC 62040-1:2017 (UPS safety requirements);
2) compliance requirements included in all sub-clauses referenced in Table 5 UPS test schedule;
3) non-linear step load is no longer a type test and was removed from 6.4 in consistency with requirements for switch mode power supplies incorporating inrush current controls; this resulted in the performance classification coding being shortened from 8 to 7 characters (see 5.3.4);
4) free-fall test aligned with ISO 4180 (see 18.104.22.168);
5) multiple normal mode UPS test requirements introduced;
6) non-linear load requirements relaxed in Annex E in consistency with requirements for switch mode power supplies complying with the applicable limits for harmonic current in IEC 61000-3-2 and IEC 61000-3-12;
7) minimum UPS efficiency values referenced in Annex I became normative and are based on active output power rating and utilisation of weighting factors rather than on allowances related to isolation transformers, input harmonic current filters and input voltages.