IEC 62402:2019 provides requirements and guidance for obsolescence management applicable to any organization that is dependent on another organization to obtain value from the usefulness of the items that it provides. A cost-effective obsolescence management process and the activities used to implement the process are applicable throughout all phases of an item’s life cycle. This document covers the following areas:
• establishing an obsolescence management policy;
• establishing an infrastructure and an organization;
• developing an obsolescence management plan (OMP);
• developing strategies to minimize obsolescence during design;
• determining an obsolescence management approach;
• selecting obsolescence resolution and implementation;
• measuring and improving the performance of the outcomes of the obsolescence management activities.
Guidance on obsolescence management is included as notes, in the informative annexes and references in the Bibliography. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2007. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) this document has now been written with requirements as a standard, not a guide;
b) this document continues to have guidance in the informative annexes;
c) this document has been written as a general process for all technologies and items.
Keywords: obsolescence management