IEC 60695-11-5:2016 is also available as IEC 60695-11-5:2016 RLV which contains the International Standard and its Redline version, showing all changes of the technical content compared to the previous edition.
IEC 60695-11-5:2016 specifies a needle-flame test to simulate the effect of a small flame which may result from fault conditions, in order to assess the fire hazard by a simulation technique. The results of this test may be used as elements of a fire hazard assessment which takes into account all of the factors which are pertinent to an assessment of the fire hazard of a particular end use. It is applicable to electrotechnical equipment, its sub-assemblies and components and to solid electrical insulating materials or other combustible materials. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- The scope has been broadened to allow this test method to also simulate the effects of small flames from outside the equipment;
- Propane and butane gas are the specified fuel source with a minimum purity of 95 %;
- A new concept has been added which allows the burner to be moved during the test to avoid dripping material from falling onto the tip of the burner tube;
- The burner tube material is now a referenced source;
- The reference for the copper block material has changed - the ISO publication (ISO 1337) has been withdrawn with no replacement. A new callout is now used and Informative Annex C and a bibliography have been added. This basic safety publication is intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51.