IEC 61784 3-2:2016 specifies a safety communication layer (services and protocol) based on CPF 2 of IEC 61784-1, IEC 61784-2 and IEC 61158 Type 2. It identifies the principles for functional safety communications defined in IEC 61784-3 that are relevant for this safety communication layer. This safety communication layer is intended for implementation in safety devices only. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2010. This edition constitutes a technical revision. The main changes with respect to the previous edition are listed below (and highlighted in yellow in this document):
- Added detailed requirements for use of FSCP 2/1 in conjunction with CP 16/3 (see 4.1, 6.4.3, 6.5.3, 8.2, 8.13, and miscellaneous references when referencing CPF 2 networks);
- Defined object class section keywords for safety to EDS file definition in 18.104.22.168;
- New sections on safety CRC overview in 22.214.171.124 and Rollover counts for EF format in 7.4;
- Corrections to PFH calculations in 9.5.2;
- Change from MACID to NodeID as general reference to network identifier.