IEC 61003-1:2016 is applicable to pneumatic and electric industrial-process instruments or control device using measured values that are continuous signals either a mechanical (position, force, etc.) or a standard electric signal. It is intended to specify uniform terminologies and testing methods for performance evaluation of industrial-process instruments or process control systems modules with analogue measured values and two- or multi-position outputs. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- use of the term two-position output instead of two-state instrument (see 3.2);
- use of the term differential gap instead of switching differential (see 3.4);
- use of fast transient/burst immunity requirements instead of power supply transient overvoltages, and revision of the test method (see 6.2.10);
- deletion of 6.2.12 common mode interference and 6.2.13 normal mode interference (series mode) tests of the previous edition;
- use of the term electromagnetic field instead of radiated electromagnetic interference, the test method remained the same (see 6.2.16);
- use of the term dielectric strength instead of isolation test, and revision of the reference (see 6.3.4);
- deletion of Subclauses 8.2 Design features, 10.1 Routine maintenance and adjustment and 10.2 Repair of the previous edition.