IEC/TS 62351-5:2013(E) specifies messages, procedures and algorithms for securing the operation of all protocols based on or derived from IEC 60870-5: Telecontrol equipment and systems - Transmission protocols. This Technical Specification applies to at least those protocols listed in IEC 60870-5-101, 5-102, 5-103, 5-104. This new edition includes the following main changes with respect to the previous edition:
- adds the capability to change Update Keys remotely;
- adds security statistics to aid in detecting attacks;
- adds measures to avoid being forced to change session keys too often;
- discards unexpected messages more often as possible attacks;
- adds to the list of permitted security algorithms;
- adds new rules for calculating challenge sequence numbers.