IEC 62271-103:2011 is applicable to three-phase, alternating current switches and switch-disconnectors for their switching function, having making and breaking current ratings, for indoor and outdoor installations, for rated voltages above 1 kV up to and including 52 kV and for rated frequencies from 162/3 Hz up to and including 60 Hz. This standard is also applicable to single-pole switches used on three phase systems. This standard cancels and replaces the third edition of IEC 60265-1, published in 1998. It constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to IEC 60265-1:1998:
- the rated voltage of 52 kV is now included;
- the document is aligned with IEC 62271-1 and IEC 62271-100;
- addition of a test procedure for short-circuit making tests;
- introduction of notion of NSDD (non-sustained disruptive discharge) as defined in IEC 62271-1 and restrikes;
- new classes C1 and C2 for capacitive switching;
- new Annex A defining tolerances.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 62271-1:2007. The contents of the corrigendum of October 2013 have been included in this copy.