IEC 61499-2:2012 defines requirements for software tools to support the following systems engineering tasks enumerated in IEC 61499-1:
- the specification of function block types;
- the functional specification of resource types and device types;
- the specification, analysis, and validation of distributed IPMCSs;
- the configuration, implementation, operation, and maintenance of distributed IPMCSs;
- the exchange of information among software tools. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2005 and constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition: The contents of Annex A have been updated to conform to the technical changes of the second edition of IEC 61499-1. CDATA sections are now allowed for the textual contents of algorithms in Tables A.4 and A.5.