IEC 61008-1:2010 applies to residual current operated circuit-breakers functionally independent of, or functionally dependent on, line voltage, for household and similar uses, not incorporating overcurrent protection (hereafter referred to as RCCBs), for rated voltages not exceeding 440 V a.c. with rated frequencies of 50 Hz, 60 Hz or 50/60 Hz and rated currents not exceeding 125 A, intended principally for protection against shock hazard. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 1996, amendment 1 (2002) and amendment 2 (2006). This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- complete revision of EMC sequences, including the new test T.2.6 already approved in IEC 61543;
- clarification of RCDs current/time characteristics reported in Tables 1 and 2;
- revision of test procedure for I?n< /sub> between 5 A and 200 A;
- testing procedure regarding the 6mA d.c. current superimposed to the fault current;
- improvement highlighting RCDs with multiple sensitivity;
- tests for the use of RCCBs in IT systems.