IEC 60988:2009 is applicable to on-site systems used for continuous monitoring of structure-borne sound measured at the reactor coolant pressure boundary of light water reactors for the purpose of detecting loose parts. The main technical changes with regard to the previous edition are as follows:
- to bring the contents up to date with technology change in some areas and to reconsider and improve the recommendations;
- to include considerations and recommendations on digitalization for loose parts monitoring systems to cover requirements for such systems;
- to include improved and updated recommendations on storage, information display, alarm level monitor and logic elements;
- to give recommendations on functional and performance measures proven in use for operation of the monitoring system including updated details on the necessary actions after detection of a loose part;
- to improve the consistency and clarity and the layout of the contents and to correct any errors found in the previous version.