IEC 60862-2:2012 gives practical guidance on the use of SAW filters which are used in telecommunications, measuring equipment, radar systems and consumer products. IEC 60862-1 should be referred to for general information, standard values and test conditions. This part of IEC 60862 includes various kinds of filter configuration, of which the operating frequency range is from approximately 10 MHz to 3 GHz and the relative bandwidth is about 0,02 % to 50 % of the centre frequency. It is not the aim of this standard to explain theory, nor to attempt to cover all the eventualities which may arise in practical circumstances. This standard draws attention to some of the more fundamental questions, which should be considered by the user before he places an order for a SAW filter for a new application. Such a procedure will be the user's insurance against unsatisfactory performance. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- Clause 3 Terms and definitions has been deleted to be included in the next edition of IEC 60862-1;
- the tapered IDT filter and the RSPUDT filter have been added to the clause of SAW transversal filters. Also DART, DWSF and EWC have been added as variations of SPUDT;
- the balanced connection has been added to the subclause of coupled resonator filters;
- recent substrate materials have been described;
- a subclause about packaging of SAW filters has been added.