IEC 60860:2014 prescribes general, radiation detection, environmental, mechanical, electromagnetic and documentation requirements and specifies acceptance criteria for criticality accident warning equipment. This International Standard applies to equipment intended to provide warning of a criticality accident by the detection of gamma radiation, neutrons or both from such an event. The main technical changes with regard to the previous edition are as follows:
- reference to IEC 61508 concerning the safety classification;
- introducing requirement for the alarm sound level;
- energy response requirement changes;
- specification of time period of 1 min for the overload requirement;
- updated EMC, mechanical and environmental requirements according to IEC 62706.