IEC 60832-1:2010 gives the essential requirements for insulating sticks for live working for use on a.c. electrical installations. The products designed and manufactured according to this standard contribute to the safety of the users provided they are used by skilled persons, in accordance with safe methods of work and the instructions for use. IEC 60832-1:2010 and IEC 60832-2:2010 cancel and replace the first edition of IEC 60832 published in 1988. The two parts have been created to clearly separate the requirements and testing of insulating sticks from those of attachable devices. Compared to IEC 60832, the major changes included in IEC 60832-1 are:
- integration of a cold impact test on the end fitting;
- creation of an electrical category of end fittings;
- integration of a test of the dielectric strength of internal insulation;
- modification of the dye penetration test (disappearance of fuchsine);
- application of conformity assessment for products having completed the production phase, according to IEC 61318:2007 (Edition 3), focusing on the classification of defects and the introduction of alternative testing in case of production follow-up.