IEC 60695-2-12:2010 specifies the details of the glow-wire test to be applied to test specimens of solid electrical insulating materials or other solid materials for flammability testing to determine the glow-wire flammability index (GWFI). GWFI is the highest temperature, determined during this standardized procedure, at which the tested material; does not ignite or, if it does, extinguishes within 30 s after removal of the glow-wire and is not totally consumed, and molten drips, if they occur, do not ignite the wrapping tissue. This second edition includes the following significant technical changes from the previous edition:
- modified title;
- addition of an Introduction;
- clarification of Scope;
- expansion of Clause 2: Normative references;
- definitions added to Clause 3;
- revision of Clause 4 to alignment with the IEC 60695-11 series to introduce guidance on test programs for material variations;
- clarification of Clause 8: Conditioning (now Clause 7);
- deletion of Clause 9 Initial measurements;
- expansion of Clause 10: Test procedures (now Clause 8);
- expansion of Clause 11: Observation and measurement (now Clause 9);
- clarification of Clause 12: Evaluation of test results (now Clause 10);
- expansion of Clause 13: Test report (now Clause 11).
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60695-2-10:2000 and IEC 60695-2-13:2010.